Those Anti-Muslim Videos Donald Trump Retweeted Are Based On 'Fake News'

On Wednesday morning, Donald Trump shared three videos with his 44 million Twitter followers which purport to show Muslims committing unforgivable crimes.

These unverified videos, however, were retweets from Jayda Fransen, a far-right mouthpiece currently on bail for four counts of religiously-aggravated harassment and the deputy leader of British extremist organization Britain First.

And, after some simple analysis, researchers have found that these 'misleading' videos are a treasure trove of inaccuracies and are, in fact, a prime example of 'fake news'.

(Image: Jabin Botsford/The Washington Post via Getty Images PS)

The first video retweeted by the US President shows two young men fighting near a river bank – which Fransen captions "Muslim migrant beats up Dutch boy on crutches!".

A spokesman for the Dutch public prosecution service claims the attacker in this instance is actually a resident and his religious affiliation is not included in any reports whatsoever.

Speaking to the Press Association, he said: "the public prosecution service Noord-Holland has studied the file submitted by the police."

He explains how the suspect was "born and raised in the Netherlands" and had been put on a juvenile delinquency program as soon as the video surfaced.

Dutch officials say the controversial clip was originally posted to a viral video site back in May 2017, and was picked up by local media the following day.

Two 16-year-old boys were arrested, according to De Telegraaf – the country's most popular morning newspaper – but the police did not include the boy's religion in the reports.

Another video, titled "Islamist mob pushes teenage boy off roof and beats him to death!", shows an incident during 2013 riots in Egypt, in which several men were pushed 20ft from a rooftop.

Hamada Badr, 19, died from his injuries and Mahmoud Hassan Ramadan was executed for his murder way back in March 2015, according to the Egyptian interior ministry.

The third video, which Fransen titles "Muslim Destroys Statue of Virgin Mary!", appeared on YouTube more than four years ago – in October 2013.

Due to a complete lack of contextual information, coupled with poor video and audio quality, it is near impossible to verify the claim as either true or false.

All three videos, which are at least six months old, fit with an established behavior from Britain First of sharing old videos with misleading titles and no information about date or context.

In July, a Press Association investigation found at least 10 misleading videos targeting Muslims, which the group had posted on Twitter and Facebook.

An official spokesman for the UK government describes Britain First as a group that seeks to divide communities through "hateful narratives which peddle lies and stoke tensions." 

Referring to Trump's retweet of the anti-Muslim videos, he said: "it is wrong for the president to have done this".

Writer and photographer from South London, UK. If you want to get in touch please email me at: matthew.kirby@konbini.com