On the promo tour for the release of the latest Star Wars movie on DVD and Blu-ray, Mark Hamill has been dropping little nuggets of info and opinions all over the place. Just last week he revealed George Lucas's vision for the end of the current trilogy and today, he's expressed his concerns over the future of the franchise.
"I will say they should pace themselves, because you don't want to over-saturate it", the actor told Cinemablend. He went on to add:
"I said to Disney, 'Really? Five months after we come out comes [Solo: A Star Wars Story]? Can't you at least wait until Christmas? But they've got things booked - they're doing Marvel and their own movies, so that's beyond my [purview.]"
Honestly, we kind of have to agree with him. Originally, we had six films across 28 years, followed by ten years of absence before The Force Awakens. Since 2015, however, no fewer than three (soon to be four) films have hit theaters.
While The Force Awakens was a massive cinema event — marking the return of Han Solo, Leia Organa and Luke Skywalker 34 years on from Return of the Jedi — the movies released since have generated less hype with fans coming to expect a new Star Wars chapter every year.
What's more, the gap between films seems to be getting shorter every time with the upcoming Han Solo spin-off expected on May 25 and Episode IX already being prepped for December 2019. So, is it really too much? Only time will tell, but it sure doesn't look like Disney is slowing down any time soon...